Next due date is 12/7.
2. Alice B. Toklas Potluck
Friday, Dec 11
Please sign up!!!!
I. Last Time
Robin the sleepwalker:
1. She’s unconscious when we meet her
2. She sleepwalks through life
3. Awakens during childbirth into a nightmare
4. Becomes a nocturnal animal that prowls (keeps Felix awake too)
1. The anti-fairy tale of Robin embowered in a jungle of carnivorous plants
2. A bird in a nest
Is Robin human?
When we meet her, she is neither alive nor dead — some place in between
Does she ever become human?
- The book becomes an ongoing discussion of the enigma of Robin
- Everyone talks about what/who she is
Chapter ends with Robin leaving Felix and the child and when she is next seen, she is with Nora Flood
- the next chapters will go back in time and tell us what happened when she was gone
Robin has gone to America and meets Nora at the circus (53)
- the lioness is crying (?) and Robin weeps as well
A. A Problematic Love Affair
Their love affair is entirely problematic
- We only get negation and loss of it
- Passionate love affair seen only in its destructiveness — no golden age
- Nora stays at home to protecting the nest
- Drive to find a missing limb
- “Beside herself” — upset but also w/Robin; Robin is part of herself
B. Ending in Catastrophe
(62) Dream with Grandmother — seduction
Nora sees Robin with another woman in the garden