DE BEAUVOIR READING QUESTIONS.
1. How do the editors describe in “existentialist” terms the construction of women in patriarchy? Re-state their meaning in your own words.
2. How does Beauvoir distinguish between the myth of Femininity and relations of “reciprocity”?
3. How does she explain the myth of feminine “mystery”? What is her critique?
4. How is musing about feminine mystery “bad faith”?
5. Beauvoir speculates that “new forms of eroticism” may “give rise to new myths.” Can you confirm or refute her prediction? What evidence would you offer either of the endurance of the old myths or the emergence of new myths? What is a new myth of the feminine that you observe in our popular culture?