FOUCAULT READING QUESTIONS
1. According to the editors of the Norton anthology, what schools of thought have been influenced by Foucault?
2. According to the editors, how is Foucault’s “What Is an Author?” a critique of “humanism”?
3. How does Foucault problematize the name of the author?
4. How does the author first emerge historically?
5. How does Foucault use the history of scientific texts to demonstrate the changing character of authorship over time?
6. Why does Foucault claim that the author discussed in literary criticism derives from a Christian tradition?
7. How is the author like a character?
8. What is a “transdiscursive” position? How have we attributed such a position in this course to Kant?
9. Why and how does Foucault urge us to retain the subject?